A safety innovation that alerts fork lift operators to potential collision risks in warehouses has been voted winner of the The Professionals’ Choice award at the IMHX Design 4 Safety Awards 2013.
Collision Sentry – made by Sentry Protection Products – took the title on the final day of IMHX, the UK’s premier materials handling event, which took place last month at the NEC Birmingham.
The Design 4 Safety Awards are run by IMHX owners BITA (the British Industrial Truck Association) and Informa Exhibitions to highlight the importance of safety product design features in helping to ensure safe materials handling operations.
Collision Sentry had previously been chosen by a panel of materials handling industry experts as one of six Specialist Winners, in the Technology category. Show visitors were then able to vote for their favourite of these six category winners, which also included Automation (OCME), Goods-in, Goods-out (Hörmann), Industrial Trucks & Ancillary Products (Crown Lift Trucks), Racking & Storage (KASTO) and Safety Practices (Toyota Material Handling).
After voting ended at the close of show on Thursday, Collision Sentry was elected by a clear margin, having attracted over a third of all the votes cast.
James Clark, secretary-general of BITA, said: “I’m delighted that so many show visitors took the time to cast their vote for a ‘popular winner’ in the Design 4 Safety Awards. The Professionals’ Choice reflects the breadth and depth of operational logistics expertise possessed by those who visited the show.
“Collision Sentry is certainly a deserving overall winner – it is inexpensive and easy to install yet makes a valuable contribution to increasing blind corner safety by giving fork lift operators an early indication of hazards round the corner. I’d also reiterate our good wishes to the other five Specialist Winners and to all the shortlisted entries for their efforts to improve safety through design.”
Over 10% of IMHX exhibitors contributed entries to the Awards in four categories, to reflect the full spectrum of materials handling and logistics disciplines. Judging took place in two stages: first, a panel of independent industry specialists, drawn from the media, the HSE and various industry bodies, voted to elect three finalists in each category. Second, another panel, including health and safety practitioners from prominent UK companies and organisations, voted again to decide the winners.
Full list of shortlisted finalists (* denotes category winner):
• KASTOunitower - bar storage system
• OCME - Auriga Laser Guided Vehicle*
• Vanriet - Pallet Conveyor Turntable
• Hörmann - HFB Fork Truck Barrier*
• Hörmann - Light Grille
• Unisan - CleanTrax
Industrial Vehicles & Ancillary Products
• B&B Attachments - KAUP Conveyer Belt Forks (T180FG)
• Crown Lift Trucks - WT 3040 rider powered pallet truck*
• Linde Material Handling - Pro Brake Hand Pallet Truck
Racking & Storage
• Gisco Storage - storage/picking bins & attached lid distribution containers
• KASTO - internal and clad twin unitower*
• QTS - easySHELF Wire Mesh Decking
• H Varley - Rotatruck
• Mentor FLT Training - Forklift Truck Managers’ Course
• Toyota Material Handling - Taking Care with Toyota - A Year of Safety*
• Crown Lift Trucks - WT 3040 rider powered pallet truck
• Sentry Protection Products - Collision Sentry*
• Transmon Engineering - iTEch Zone Control System